It was many dearest friend, Elizabeth’s 30th birthday this weekend! For the past few months, we have been in the midst of planning a 30th Birthday Celebration in New Orleans. So I thought, what the heck – let’s do this week’s “something new” on taking my very first solo road trip from Orlando to New Orleans (about a 10 hour drive with coffee/pee breaks). I was a bit nervous about trying out a solo road trip, especially one so long, but what the heck in the spirit of trying something new! I left the house around 2:30AM and arrived safely in New Orleans around 1:30PM.
Here’s what I took away from my Solo Road Trip
- It’s hard to stay awake on your own, so bring a good play list.
- I’m thankful that it was basically a straight shot on the highway to New Orleans. Navigating Google Maps is a bit difficult on your own, while driving.
- I’m greatful for my refillable Starbucks cup.
- After about six hours alone in a car, you do start talking to yourself – and that’s ok.
- Bring snacks, organize them and place them on the passanger seat for easy access. I ordered this storage unit the week before my trip and don’t regret it.
- Speaking of snacks, don’t go for ALL junk food. I needed the energy from good food to keep me going – I packed home made (nut free) trail mix and bananas.
- Don’t be afraid to stop for breaks, even if you are on your own, just make sure your are somewhere semi familiar like a Starbucks or restaurant
- Rest stops are great for naps. I took one on the way out to New Orleans for an hour and it really helped keep me focused. (Honestly I even pulled my blanket out of the trunk and snuggled up – if I was going to nap, I was going to do it right)
- Screw it & wear your jams. It’s a long trip and your alone, so why not be comfortable? I rocked my Lularoe leggings, t-shirt and tennis shoes 🤷🏻♀️
Have you taken any recent road trips? How about a solo trip? I’d like to hear about it below in the comments! I will be posting all about my New Orleans trip later this week, so stay tuned for that! OH! & the hubby and I will be taking a week cruise down to San Juan in less than two weeks too! (I’m just a BIT excited about it) You can check out my trip photos on social media (links below).
Our Facebook Community Page @TheTangledTinsel