10 Ways To Get Your Best Nights Sleep Tonight
With two full time jobs and a family to take care of, life can get in the ways of a good nights sleep. I don’t know about you, but at night I can never seem to shut it off. Remember that time I scared off that poor girl over chicken sandwiches? My mind just spins through stories, interactions ETC. Does this happen to anyone else??
ANYWAYS. Meanless to say I’m pretty much an expert (qoute me on that) on not sleeping. So here we go! Just a few of my tips and tricks on how I help myself to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. I hope they help you too!
- I stop drinking any sort of caffeine after 12PM, allowing my body to filter out the coffee or matcha that I’ve had. I stick to decaffeinated teas or coffee before bed if I’m still craving it. Here’s a list of my favorite stress-relieving teas!
- I always practice yoga before bed. If I’m exhausted I at least push myself to stretch for 15 minutes or more. This allows my muscles to release any tensions from sitting cooped up in my office all day. I’ve probably mentioned this little gem before, but here’s my favorite yoga mat!
- I schedule a little “me time” every night by taking a long, relaxing hot bath. To help me really relax, I add in lavender epson salts to my bath too.
- Turn off your electronics and read a book! An hour before bed time, I shut off everything; my phone, Apple Watch, TV, music. I even talk it a step further and start dimming the lights. Here’s a book that I just did a review on!
- Set a bed time and keep it. While your at it, set a morning alarm. Check out this adorable alarm clock option from Amazon!
- Part of my worries that keeps me up at night is stress about the next morning. (I know that sounds crazy) So I set myself up for success; preset the coffee maker, pick out your clothes, pack your lunch and clean up your home > sometimes I even wear my gym clothes to bed so I’m ready to pop up and go! Being prepared = Less Stress = Falling asleep faster.
- I’m not in anyway sponsored by this company, but I cannot live without it. Download the “Calm” app on your IPhone or Tablet and it will change your life too. The app offers guided meditations, calming music, white noise AND sleep stories. If you are like me and have a hard time falling asleep fast enough, select “Today’s Sleep Story” and you are guaranteed to fall deep asleep within minutes. Try out their free trial today!
- Turn down the temp! My husband and I always tap the AC to 65-70 at night. Cooler temperatures help you fall asleep faster too. Amazon currently has a deal going on with their Bluetooth enabled AC thermostat, you can check out the deal here and be able to change your home temp from bed!
- (Don’t get me wrong, I love my husband). But, we are not compatible sleeping partners. Who really is though? My husband sleeps like a little bear > hot, spread out and snoring like he’s in hibernation. Me I sleep cold, curled up with Tinsel wrapped in my own heavy weighted comforter (see the blanket I use here). Everyone sleeps differently, so get your own damn blanket. (Trust me).
- Can I tell you more about my blanket? I suffer from severe anxiety. Tinsel does the best she can (as my service dog), to weigh me down > she lays her heavy body on me to calm me. Sometimes, it’s just not enough. I also sleep with a weighted comforter. The weight is soothing and still manages to keep me cool > seriously check the blanket out here.
- Bonus tip that you’ll love: Dark Chocolate as a late night snack. Personally? I like the baking dark chocolate chips. I place a bag in the freezer and have a table spoon before bed. Physically, chocolate is filled with those “feel good hormones” and helps me to relax. See my favorite chocolate here.
What are your favorite sleep remedies? I would love to hear about them in the comments below! Have you ever tried any of mine? Feel free to message me on our Facebook Community Page at The Tangled Tinsel! I’d like to hear if they worked or not!
If you liked this article be sure to check out these articles too!